Monday, January 18, 2010

Kitchen Weekend

Last week on Thursday or so, I decided I was going to do some cooking this weekend. I mean I do have to use my new toys right? What started as maybe I will cook this, quickly ballooned into a kitchen dominated weekend.

I remember when sleeping in meant noonish. Now, since I get up at 530 to go to the gym during the week, 730 is sleeping in. We were up before 8 on Saturday, and since MM didn’t have to work until 10, I decided to hit the Strathcona Market early, before the crowds and the desire to punch slow, stupid people in the back of the head. We got a spot right on 83rd, in front of the market! Annnd, I locked my keys in the car. While it was still running. So we called AMA, and while we waited, we did our shopping. Some drumsticks from the meat place in the north east corner, some olives from Olive Me (all for me lol, MM doesn’t like olives), garlic coil from the lady at the north end of the west isle, a cup of cherry tomatoes and some baby cukes from Dohl’s (I think) Greenhouse, two bags of onions from the Hutterites in the southwest corner, and of course way to much (65$ worth) from Irving Farm Meats. After that we went to Smokn Iron Farms for a bone in ham. Then I dropped MM off at work by 10, went to Save-On for a few little things, Happy Harbor for my comics, then home to cook.

I started with what ended up being my most successful endeavour, the Candied Bacon, from my new favourite recipe blog Closet Cooking (as opposed to my favourite general food blogs Only Here for the Food, and Eating is the Hard Part). The candied bacon was so easy. One pound bacon. Half a cup of brown sugar. Put sugar in bowl, add bacon, coat bacon, place bacon on cooling racks, put cooling racks on cookie sheets and bake for 15-20 at 350F. Cool. There, thirty four words, how could it be easier?

While that was cooling, I cooked another pound of bacon. Then I made muffins. Peanut Butter banana muffins to be exact. Two batches. One with candied bacon, one without. I got the bacon idea from Eating is the Hard Part, but he didn’t give a recipe so I just used one from allrecipes.com.

At the end of the day (to disrupt my otherwise linear sequential recap), after doing a lot of baking, I made a horrible discovery. (Not that my brown sugar could be used as a brick - I found that out earlier, and a hammer and the microwave fixed it).

Flour can go bad. I didn’t not know this, did you? (I also didn't know how old my flour was. It has since been thrown out.) But it was super flour. Didn’t matter what I baked, it tastes like flour. That’s the taste, like you just ate a tablespoon of white flour. So nothing I made past the candied bacon was very successful. Edible (but I am not known for my high standards for edible) but not very good.

So the muffins are not great. And they have a kind of mushy mouthfeel. That was caused by too much banana I think. But hey, they look pretty, and they were a learning experience.

On to the Chocolate Chip Cookies, with candied bacon, also from Closet cooking (I think MM would curse Kevin of Closet Cooking if he knew what he was inspiring me to do). I think I used to much fat, because the cookies came out very flat, and needed a long time to cool on the tray before I could move them to the cooling racks without the bottoms falling apart. And of course the super flour issue. So again, not a colossal failure, but not really successful either.
Then, because I had cooked regular bacon, but not used it I decided to make bacon and cheese biscuits. So I googled a recipe, found a nice simple one, and away we went. Flour, baking powder, grated cheddar, chopped bacon, milk and a dash of cayenne (which I didn’t have so I used paprika, which was not noticeable over the flour anyways). All done.

That was enough for one day, so MM and I went to Sapporo for all you can eat sushi. We don’t bother with the tuna sashimi lately, it hasn’t been very good. The salmon was pretty tastless, and MM says it is that time of year. I wouldn’t know, I am prairie boy born and bred and don’t really know seafood. He can look at a hunk of fish and tell you all sorts of things about it (of course he could be BSing, how would I know?). I can look at it and tell you it is fish. Maybe.

Sunday I went to Ice on Whyte with my Brother-in-law, EllaBella and CharlieBucket. It was nice, the sculptures are cool and the castle and maze were neat. They wouldn’t let me take EllaBella down the slide because she was too small, and they were just building a kid’s slide. What kind of crappy planning is that? They know there will be so many families during the day that they are playing music like the “Wheels on the Bus” and “The Ants Go Marching” in the warm up tent, but they don’t build a kid’s slide from the start?

After a quick stop and Coney Island Candy (nothing new or notable) it was home to start my ham. I had a nice bone in ham, about six pounds, so that meant about 3 hours at 325-350F. I mixed some honey, brown sugar and German style prepared mustard into a syrup and after putting the ham in the roasting pan fat side up (scoring it first) I dumped the glaze over it and put it in the over to bake.

While it was baking I made Onion Chutney from Closet Cooking and Amazing Chicken freezer meals. While the onion was cooking I mixed the sauce for the Amazing Chicken.

The Amazing Chicken is a recipe I got from my sister. She gave us a bag after she borrowed my food processor for a big freezer meal day (an idea that I am toying with now). Take two pounds of chicken, put it in a freezer bag. Take one cup of chopped onions, one teaspoon of paprika, ¼ cup of cider vinegar, ¼ cup of sugar (or honey like I did), one table spoon o f lemon juice, ½ cup of apricot jam and ½ to one can of tomato paste (or a few good squeezes if you buy it in a tube like I do). Mix it all together and dump it in the bag with the chicken. Freeze. Bake from thawed for an hour at 350F. Serve with rice or whatever. Very yummy. I did three bags (around four pounds of chicken), divided up to give MM and I dinner and leftovers for lunch from one bag.

Then I started the vegetable gratin for dinner. Again from Closet Cooking. I took his Brussels sprouts gratin recipe, and since MM doesn’t like Brussels sprouts, I only did half. I took a large onion, sliced it thick, roasted it the same way as the Brussels sprouts and made them in two separate baking dishes. Both dishes were so good, although since I didn’t measure I put a bit much cream in them and they were a bit runny. But they tasted great.

The onion chutney is so yummy, although it doesn’t go as well with the ham as I expected it to. But I can’t wait to try the grilled cheese and onion chutney that Kevin at Closet Cooking suggested.

No comments:

Post a Comment