Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hooray, I'm Participating!!!!

Hooray! Barely started the blog and already missed a month! Yay me!! And it is not like Christmas is an excuse, since I did sweet **** all over the holiday. I mean I had planned to catch up on some TV watching (difficult I know) and didn’t manage that. I vegetated.

Really, I am lucky I didn’t sprouting eyes like an abandoned potato.

Since it is a new year, I am going to make a couple of resolutions. I will post to this blog at least once a week. And not some tweet crap, a real post. And I will write for at least an hour a week, not including the previously mentioned blog post.

I did make the gym four times each week for the week of Christmas and the week of New Year’s, so that is good. I am starting to see some changes in my upper body, but not in my waistline. :( However swimming starts tonight and I have been better about getting my supper eating under control, so fingers crossed. I have just under four months before Mexico and I need to be bikini ready.

MM and I had a very kitchen Christmas, since I got him a deep fryer (got to make it hard for myself somehow) and he got me a food processor. A big ass Black and Decker, with the glass blender jug as well. Plus Mom and Dad got me a Kitchen Aid mixer, which I have wanted for years. Of course now that I have it, I realize that it is mostly good for baking. Which I don’t do. Oh, and making mayonnaise I mean aioli. Yay fat!!

So about my cooking or eating in the last month.

MM’s staff Christmas party was at Lazia’s downtown. We had a three choice prix-fixe menu. It was good. It was pleasant. But not memorable. I am pretty sure I had the steak, but I really don’t remember much about it, and I only had two drinks. And that pretty much sums up all my experiences with Lazia’s. Pleasant, but not memorable.

My staff party was at the Redbird Golf Course by the airport. Buffet of course, (with more than 200 people plate service is a pain) with good selections, and very nice perogies (God I love living in Edmonton sometimes!!) and an excellent dessert table. The gingerbread cake with eggnog cheesecake ice was my favourite.

Mostly we ate at chains, because they were cheap or available.

We ate at the Outback Steakhouse on the Saturday before Christmas. We were going to WEM to pick up a present for EllaBella at the Disney store (the Kingsway one didn't have any of what we wanted left, so we had to brave WEM just before Christmas). MM was hungry and wanted a sit down place, where he wouldn’t be asked “Do you want fries with that” before braving the mall. So we stopped for a (very) early dinner (or late lunch). And the waitress asked if we wanted fries. Sometimes you can't win for trying lol.

The onion blossom was too much for just two people really, and greasy (big surprise huh?). I am also not a fan of chipotle, which is becoming rather ubiquitous. The potato soup was lovely, with firm but not boney chunks of potato in a nicely flavoured cream. The steak was cooked well enough, but was underseasoned, and the garlic mashed potatoes, while they did have bits of potato skin in them (which we like) had the consistency of wallpaper paste. Good flavour though. The “seasonal” vegetables were a mixed bag, with the baby squash mushy, the broccoli about right and the carrots under done.

We went to Denny’s for breakfast the other day – oh the shame ;). In my defence, we did try both the Blue Plate and the Artisan, but they were closed, and I don’t care much for Barb and Ernie’s or Route 99. The Commodore is a no go, and Cora’s is too far away, so Denny’s it was.

We have been eating at Sapporo Sushi’s new downtown(ish) location at 10923 101 Street NW a fair bit. All you can eat for 26$. We get everything we normally get, except the tataki beef, which we order separately, and the whole thing still ends up being cheaper than when we go for sushi anywhere else (including Sapporo's other location) ala carte.

I guess this is good for now. I will maybe write about a couple of meals I cooked or my cookbook conundrum later. But for now, at least I am back.

1 comment:

  1. Nice round up. Welcome back to the world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete