Friday, November 27, 2009

Off like a terd of hurtles

This is my blog. Pretty obvious, huh? We will see how long it lasts. It will be about whatever is on my mind, so usually food, often books, sometimes music or games or politics. But usually food. You can blame several people who don’t even know me for this blog, since I lurk on theirs and have been feeling more and more like writing the more I read.

So what to write about.

I live in Queen Mary Park in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. But I usually just say Oliver because more people know where that is. I live in a one bedroom apartment with my boyfriend and two cats. I am closer to 40 than 20, and we can leave it at that. I work in communications, and feel like my career is where it should have been when I was 23 or 24. Of course I didn’t finish school until I was over 30, so maybe I am not doing so bad.

I like to cook, and eat. I would be a foodie, but my standards are too low. I have been known to taste things, say that they are not very good, but keep eating. I read a lot. Most of my free money, you know the part of the budget people spend on liquor or concert tickets, or whatever, is spent of books. My man (hereafter referred to as MM or the guy who puts up with me) says I am not allowed to buy anymore books until the pile (around 40 maybe) of books I bought but haven’t read yet is gone. I don’t listen of course, but I have slowed down on my book buying. I recently bought the second book of a series I am reading (we were at the Wee Book Inn, and MM bought nine books, so I got one) and a new cookbook (at a launch, not used but cookbooks don’t count anyways.)

I read a lot of food blogs, particularly Only Here for the Food, Eating is the Hard Part, and The Little Red Kitchen. I read a few author blogs, mostly the word Smith, Queer and Loathing in America and the MLR Press author blog. I also read AfterElton.com and TheTorchonline.com regularly, but they are more like portals than single blogs.

It is mostly the food blogs that made me want to blog. The author ones make me want to write, and I am hoping by writing this, I will get motivated to start writing more in general.

I also volunteer with the Edmonton Folk Music Festival and am an ongoing subscriber to the best radio station in the world, CKUA Radio. I am working out (target four days a week) trying to lose some weight. And I am babbling. So I will post this and then maybe try writing a real post.

No comments:

Post a Comment